Russian Major & Minor

How do I declare a major?

How do I declare Russian as my major?

The German & Russian department follows the University guidelines for declaring a major. They are as follows:

The majority of students declare their major during the second semester of their sophomore year. Prior to declaring a major, a student should have earned at least 55 hours.  A student may declare Russian as their major earlier than this if they already accumulated 55 hours of credit, such as during the fall semester.  If you are interested in declaring German as your major and you meet the other requirements, you should contact Dr. Hamilton (758-5803; for information.

What courses do I take during my first 2 years?

To be admitted into the major, there are no courses a prospective Russian student should take.  However, in order to fulfill the requirements for graduation, students are encouraged to complete their language requirement (200 level course) before declaring a major. Additionally, all freshmen should be working to complete their basic and divisional requirements.

A major requires twenty-four hours beyond Russian 153 and must include Russian 210, 212, 317, and 321. A minor in Russian requires fifteen hours beyond 153, three of which must be earned in Russian 321. Students of Russian are invited to apply for study at Moscow State University.

How do I change my major to Russian?

If you have already declared a different major, but would like to change to Russian, you will need to follow these steps:

  1. Obtain a “Change of Major” form from the Registrar’s Office or on WIN
  2. Take the form to the departmental office of your old major and ask your advisor to sign it
  3. Bring the “Change of Major” form to Dr. Shaw in Greene 331 for his signature
  4. Return the completed “Change of Major” form to the Registrar’s Office

What do I do if I am a transfer student?

If you have transferred to Wake Forest University, have completed 55 hours so that you are able to declare a major, and would like to declare Russian as your major, you will need to follow these steps:

  1. Obtain a “Declaration of Major” form from the Registrar’ Office
  2. Bring the completed “Declaration of Major” form to Dr. Hamilton in Greene 339 and obtain his signature.
  3. Take the signed “Declaration of Major” form back to the Registrar’s Office

Additionally, you will need to closely examine the student record of classes to ensure that you will be able to finish all required course work prior to your intended date of graduation.

How am I assigned an advisor?

Dr. Hamilton is the advisor for all Russian majors and minors. Once you have officially declared Russian as your major, Dr. Hamilton will appear as your advisor.